Access Initiatives (Teachers)
Jesus College employs a full-time Schools Liaison Officer (Ed Penn) to work in the Admissions Office alongside the Admissions Coordinator (Jenny Jenyon) and the Admissions Tutors (Dr Brechtje Post, Arts; and Dr Noel Rutter, Sciences). For information on our work with schools and the support we offer to students of any age, and to teachers directly, please contact Brendan: by email firstname.lastname@example.org; by phone on 01223 766529; or even via Twitter – @Jesus_outreach. Our outreach initiatives are focussed, though not exclusively, on the London Boroughs of Brent, Ealing and Westminster, and on the five local authorities of Tyne and Wear; this is part of the university-wide Area Links Scheme under which all local authorities are linked to a Cambridge College for the purposes of outreach work: http://www.study.cam.ac.uk/undergraduate/access/arealinks/.
Below is a brief outline of what we offer, but for more information please either contact Ed or visit the Jesus College website (http://www.jesus.cam.ac.uk/admissions/undergraduates/access-at-jesus/). Visits can be arranged to the College, whilst Ed and the team are always more than happy to come into schools to offer sessions there.
- Year 13 Application Support – provided in the run-up to the October 15th application deadline
- Year 12 Events – a range of inbound and outbound visits to introduce students to what Cambridge has to offer and how to think about preparing to submit an application
- Key Stage 3/4 events – talks and workshops more broadly focussed on top universities and the benefits of attending them. Information can be tailored as appropriate for the group
- Primary School events – we run a small of number of tailored events for primary schools; please get in touch to find out more
- Access Tour – in March, Ed and a team of undergraduates visit Tyne and Wear to go into as many schools as are interested to talk about Cambridge (as detailed above)
- Oxbridge Information Evenings – Year 11s and parents, in collaboration with various Oxford colleges, focussed on giving broad preparatory information
- Subject Masterclasses – currently in development, offering students a taste of a particular subject at a higher level than post-16 school study and introducing them to university-style teaching
- Teachers’ Events – a biennial residential conference organised by the Cambridge Admissions Office, and annual Teachers’ Roadshow events run by the College