Category: Minutes (page 3 of 4)

JCSU Minutes – 14-03-15

JCSU COMMITTEE

Minutes of a meeting of the JCSU Committee held on Saturday 14th March at 1.00pm in the Library Court Seminar Room.

Present: the President (Amatey Doku), the Treasurer (Christina Lane), the Secretary (Freddie Valletta), the Communications Officer (Caroline Sharp), the Access Officer (Tom Hogg), the Green Officer (Tansy Branscombe), the Male Welfare Officer (Ben Simpson), the International Officer (Marina Mayer) and the LGBT+ Officer (Anthony Wheeler).

Absent: the Vice-President (Ruby Stewart-Liberty), the Services Officer (Aiden Goulden), the Ents Officers (Xanthe Fuller and Amelia Oakley), the Female Welfare Officer (Daisy Eyre), the Mental Health and Disabilities Officer (Harrison Packer), the Women’s Officer (Eleanor Kashouris) and the Racial Equalities Officer (Nadine Batchelor-Hunt).

  1. Committee reports of actions since last meeting
    AD – attended a design meeting for West Court, rewriting the Constitution, sent out the Annual Survey.
    CL – attended a design meeting for West Court, still signing cheques, met with the Finance Officer – see 4(c).
    FV – attended a design meeting for West Court, organised JCSU meeting.
    CS – met with the college’s new Communications Officer, general social media stuff, sat on the Communications Committee, put the Master on the JCSU mailing list.
    TH – attended CUSU Access Forum – see 4(b), met with the college’s new Communications Officer (Helen Harris, not Helen Higgins as stated on the agenda, she was my blind date) about the JCSU videos – need to chat to AO.
    TB – organised Fairtrade Fortnight – welfare bake, film night and Fairtrade promotion.
    BS – usual welfare stuff – drop in, sexual health supplies, welfare cake.
    MM – organised a return formal swap at Downing, promoted iCUSU elections.
    AW – subsidised tickets for a group to see Rent, promoted CUSU LGBT+ elections, rewriting the Constitution.
  2. Minutes from last meeting
    No comments.
  3. Suggestion form report by AG
    AG reports that since the last meeting no progress has been made with the suggestion form as he and the Domestic Bursar have not had time to meet.
  4. Matters arising

(a)     Communication strategy and website review
CS – met with Communications Officer and she talked about crisis communications. She needs to know about actions that could cause potential slip up so she is able to put a strategy in place.

CS – attended Communications Committee, they’re updating Jesus College website first then JNet. They also found in their prospectus survey that people found accommodation and facilities most interesting when looking for a college and history and alumni the least interesting.
They had some questions. Do we want to keep access and prospective students on main website? Or could we move it to the JCSU website
TH – keep it on Jesus website as it has more traffic – easily Google-able. We’d have the new alternative prospectus on the JCSU website plus some college info. But we’d need a link to the JCSU website on the main Jesus site.

CS – what would we emphasise on the website to set us apart from other colleges?
Points that were raised: space, on site facilities, range of accommodation, mix of history and modernism, not too big a college – you know pretty much everyone.
TB – we have such a pretty college with an amazing space so it needs to be heavily picture based.
FV – just need to make sure they’re not staged.
TH – we should get a big range from the photo competition. Also they’re organising a photography day with a professional photographer. They would be able to train other amateur photographers. This wide range of photos could also be used in the new alternative prospectus.

CL – Churchill have a new website which they’re tempted to copy but it may seem a bit unfriendly.
CL – I felt as though it was too focussed on design rather than content.
TH – too corporate
BS – and it looked as though it was selling themselves a bit too much. Also they focus on stats like the position in the Tompkins Table, don’t know if it should be front page headline.
TH – we’re 4th, this is not too high that it looks like we’re not having fun.
AW – also Churchill have less aesthetic to sell but we have other things.
(b)     CUSU Alternative prospectus
TH – attended CUSU access forum. It was interesting to hear from other colleges about access tours – some had never done them. We’re one of the best colleges at doing them. Gave some college’s Access Officers tips. We discussed the new CUSU alternative prospectus. The CUSU Access Officer (Helena Blair) expressed an interest to come to a JCSU meeting to discuss this as well. They’ve been given thousands of pounds from the university to update it. It would be online based which each college has their own page which can be updated regularly. We’d aim to keep it active, fresh and looking good and maybe allocate some Jesus Ambassadors to keep it updated. Just wanted to know what would be good for our page in the prospectus. My view is that we have a couple of large pictures with some text and links to the videos we do. Maybe mentioning prices (rent/food/pints). Could have a twitter feed on it as well.
CS – as well as an Instagram feed too.
TH – Helena Blair wanted to come to our meeting to discuss this. One of her aims to meet all the college’s JCR committees. However is it worth her coming? We’re doing a lot of this stuff already so could tell her that we’re updating website stuff so won’t be difficult to get this page done.
FV – a lot of the stuff we discuss at our meetings won’t be relevant to her.
AW – she could just meet with the Jesus Ambassadors as it is more relevant to them.
TH – she would be able to promote the CUSU Target Scheme too.
(c)      Enterprise Account
CL – met with the Finance Officer about the Enterprise Account. He was initially worried about how easy it is to misuse. Operationally it’s working fine but the security needs to change. The options are either to keep the HSBC account but CL would need to show bank statements every month or take money out of Enterprise Account, put it into the JCSU account but not to use it so the college can keep tabs on it.
AD – would probably be better just move it all to Lloyds rather than splitting it up.
CL – all of this would need to tie in with the Constitution. Can’t make a payment without checking with the Finance Committee spendings over £500 would need to be mentioned at an OGM and spending reports at AGMs.

  1. Any other business

(a)     JCSU videos
TH – I need to talk to AO about these videos. The best idea is for small videos with different committee members presenting different videos. We’ll get this rolling at the beginning of next term. Will message the JCSU during Easter and we can get filming in the first week of next term.
(b)     Handovers
AD – just thinking we need to set a precedence for our handovers to the next committee members. Need to make the information given consistent  from year to year.
MM – need to make sure that the new officer know what the role entails, what you have done this year as well as what you are still doing.
CL – also need to make them aware of stuff outlined in the Constitution and Standing Orders.
CS – could stick the documents in the JCSU Google Drive, will advertise it on the committee Facebook group again.
(c)      Suggestion form and Annual Survey
AD – will email again about the survey to get more responses as only 80 or so people have done it.
CS – the suggestion form needs to be made more accessible too, will pin it on the Freshers’ Facebook page.
(d)     Gender neutral toilets
AW – is there scope for there to be gender neutral toilets in the new bar in West Court. This could be law in ten or so years’ time would be good to stay ahead of the times. There is still a lot of scope to change the plans to incorporate this. I have spoken to AD and he said he was happy to float the idea to college. It is easy enough to take the urinals out of the men’s toilets and then just put WC on toilet doors rather than the gendered figures. Also I’ve spoken to the LGBT+ Officer at Pembroke as he’s trying to get gender neutral toilets there. Along with their Senior Tutor he will talk to other Senior Tutors and LGBT+ Officers about this idea and get back to me about how to implement it.

AD thanked the members of the Committee for a very helpful and successful meeting.

The meeting closed at 2:00pm

4-3-15 JCSU Minutes

Click below for the latest JCSU meeting minutes:

4-3-15 JCSU Minutes

26-2-15 OGM Minutes

Click below for the OGM minutes

26-2-15-OGM Minutes

20-2-15 Minutes

Click here for this week’s minutes:

20-2-15-Minutes

Minutes 10/02/2015

JCSU Committee Meeting – 10/02/2015

Minutes of a meeting of the JCSU Committee held on Tuesday 10th February 2015 at 7.30pm in the Library Court Seminar Room.

Present: the President (Amatey Doku), the Vice-President (Ruby Stewart-Liberty), the Treasurer (Christina Lane), the Secretary (Freddie Valletta), the Services Officer (Aiden Goulden), the Communications Officer (Caroline Sharp), the Access Officer (Tom Hogg), an Ents Officer (Xanthe Fuller), the Male Welfare Officer (Ben Simpson), the Female Welfare Officer (Daisy Eyre), the Mental Health and Disabilities Officer (Harrison Packer), the LGBT+ Officer (Anthony Wheeler), the Women’s Officer (Eleanor Kashouris) and the Racial Equalities Officer (Nadine BatchelorHunt).

Absent: the Green Officer (Tansy Branscombe), an Ents Officer (Amelia Oakley) and the International Officer (Marina Mayer).

1. Committee reports of actions since handover

AD – attended meetings (Student Affairs Committee, pre-ballot meeting, Buildings Committee – to discuss West Court, one with Tori McKee – to discuss Survey Monkey account, council), spoke to the MCR President about constitutional changes.

RSL – attended meetings (Student Affairs Committee, one with Tori McKee – to discuss Survey Monkey account), received and distributed JCSU stash, sorting Halfway Hall.

CL – signing off cheques, paid for stash (which needs to be mentioned at an OGM), planning on organising a meeting with the Boat Club about their budget.

FV – organised the JCSU meeting, wrote minutes and agenda.

AG – attended meetings (pre-ballot meeting, Student Affairs Committee), trialling a suggestion box on JCSU website, organising balloting groups for the room ballot, reduced the caff card bar top-up back down to £20.

CS – sent racial equalities themed bulletin, preparing next week’s welfare themed bulletin, updated JCSU email list.

TH – attended Student Affairs Committee, finished CUSU shadowing scheme and attending a meeting with CUSU on how to improve it.

AO & XF – organised Valentine’s karaoke event in the bar (Friday 13th February), organising a welfare event.

BS & DE – attended Student Affairs Committee, hosted welfare cake, organising a welfare bop/fiesta for Week 5/6.

DE – hosted a welfare drop in, ordered Week 5 snacks for pidges, looked into Pet a Puppy Day (see later).

HP (reported by TH) – sent email regarding Time to Talk Day, selected as the college rep for Student Minds Cambridge charity.

MM (reported by TH) – organised an formal at Murray Edwards for Churchill, Jesus and Murray Edwards international students, organising an international formal swap with Downing, attending iCusu.

AW – organised an LGBT+ formal swap at Downing, promoting LGBT History month with emails, posters and leaflets, sending an email and producing leaflets on LGBT+ rights.

EK – sorted out boxes of free tampons for the Marshall Room and the bar toilets and eventually the Upper Hall toilets, will update women’s email list.

NBH – sent email about ethnic food suggestions in caff, reported that the barman can’t include a charity cost in the price of a drink but he will put a charity box in place for Pink Week, sent a pink food formal menu suggestion to the Domestic Bursar.

2. Matters arising

(a) JCSU Constitutional changes

AD presented the changes made to the Constitution to the committee. The committee then went through the Standing Orders and made amends where needed. AD reported that he had sent an email to the president of the Murray Edwards JCR in order for her to be the independent reviewer once the amendments were made. Before the changes are approved at an OGM, four documents would need to be sent out to college (an annotated version of the old Constitution, the new version, a running commentary and the proposal).

(b) JCSU Annual survey

AD provided the committee with an electronic copy of last year’s Annual Survey and requested that the committee look over it and send him updates and additional questions to him by the meeting next week when it would be approved. TH reported that in last year’s survey certain responses suggested that the college extended their outreach to Scotland and Northern Island, as well as focussing on particularly disadvantaged schools and to improve outreach to minority students. He stressed that the college’s access work is restricted to certain areas allocated by CUSU (Newcastle, Gateshead, Sunderland, North & South Tyneside and Westminster, Brent & Ealing boroughs) and that due to the nature of the areas the college targets, disadvantaged schools and minority students are targeted (as Brent, Ealing & Westminster are predominantly minority and disadvantaged areas and the North-East is predominantly white but it’s one of the most disadvantaged areas of the country).

(c) Queerphobia in college

AW reported that Get Real (the new LGBT+ magazine in Cambridge) ran a survey amongst queer students in Cambridge. It was found that 75% of the Jesus students that responded had experienced queerphobic speech during their time here, which isn’t something that anyone should be subjected to. Seeing as this college is renowned for having a very large accepting and community feel this is something that he felt needed to be addressed. He said he intended to do his own survey (using the JCSU Survey Monkey account) as soon as possible (which would be separate from and before the Annual Survey) to the LGBT+ mailing list in order to get the real picture about the issue. He promised to relaunch the ‘That’s so gay’ posters as well as sending an email. He said he would consider the effect of this campaign on people that may be sensitive to this issue.

(d) LGBT+ terminology

It had come to attention of AW that many people don’t understand LGBT+ terminology as they may have had no reason to ever learn. He plans to educate people on this terminology (eg camp, queer, gay, trans/cisgender, asexual) through the use of leaflets/posters/email. It was suggested that he could organise a panel for people to ask questions relating to this subject which worked at Peterhouse.

(e) Pet a Puppy Day

DE reported that she was in the process of organising a Pet a Puppy Day within college during exam term as a ‘de-stressing event’. She said that she had the details of the charity that provide these services (to help guide dogs become accustomed to human contact from an early age) and that the Senior Tutor and Domestic Bursar were both very keen. However they said that dogs were not allowed in college. It was suggested that she could try and get around this rule by reinforcing to college that the dogs are guide dogs (which the committee believed were allowed in college). CS suggested that if this was not a possibility, the church opposite The Chimney could be an option as it was close to college and college houses. RSL said she would send DE the contact details of the church.

(f) Gym report

AD reported that the college have changed the regulation on gym opening hours and now the porters will now let students have 24 hour access to the gym. However between the hours of 12 midnight and 6 am students must sign a key card out from the porters’ lodge in order to gain access.

(g) Student behaviour at formal

AD reported that student behaviour at formal was discussed at the Student Affairs Committee, especially the acts of 1 and 5 ‘pennying’. He reported that college has strict policies against ‘forced drinking’ and the college has warned the JCSU that if it continues, they will start increasing the punishment i.e. throwing people out more often. AD said he would draft an email to the undergrads making them aware of the new punishments.

(h) Spotify Soundclash competition

AD reported that Richard Cartwright would like to enter this competition and requires JCSU committee permission in order to use their name. The competition requires a society to create a playlist on Spotify and if it gains a certain amount of followers, the society is rewarded with some funding. AD promised to follow this up with RC in order to find out what he was planning on using the money for if he was to win.

3. Any other business

(a) Taxi scheme

EK reported that other colleges have a scheme with Panther Taxis that if a student books a taxi, the cost is added to their college bill automatically. She said this would make it easier for students to feel safe when travelling back to college post nights out for example. EK & DE said they would investigate this scheme further and discuss it with the porters.

(b) ‘No Bystanders’ campaign

AW reminded the committee that the ‘No Bystanders’ campaign starts on Monday 16th February when he’ll send an email to college and put up posters. He said that he’d invite the college to the pledge event which would tie in with welfare cake on Thursday 19th February at 6.15 pm in the Marshall Room. Members of the committee were then photographed taking the pledge to never be a bystander to bullying and teasing language.

AD thanked the members of the Committee for a very helpful and successful meeting. The meeting closed at 9.30pm.

03/03/2015 Minutes

Click below to access the Minutes from this week’s JCSU meeting.

3-2-15 Minutes

Minutes – 21/01/2015

The minutes for the JCSU Committee meeting on the 21st January, 2015.

21-1-15-Minutes-Final

JCSU Committee meeting, 12/01/2015

Present: the President (Amatey Doku), the Vice-President (Ruby Stewart-Liberty), the Treasurer (Christina Lane), the Secretary (Freddie Valletta), the Services Officer (Aiden Goulden), the Communications Officer (Caroline Sharp), the Access Officer (Tom Hogg), the Green Officer (Tansy Branscombe), the Ents Officers (Xanthe Fuller and Amelia Oakley), the Male Welfare Officer (Ben Simpson), the Female Welfare Officer (Daisy Eyre), the Mental Health and Disabilities Officer (Harrison Packer), the International Officer (Marina Mayer), the LGBT+ Officer (Anthony Wheeler), the Women’s Officer (Eleanor Kashouris) and the Racial Equalities Officer (Nadine Batchelor-Hunt).
1. Committee reports of actions since handover
AD – been in contact with various people over small queries they had and would like to remind the committee about the buffet lunch with college staff next Monday (19th January).
RSL – started preparation for the 2nd year’s halfway hall, received the second stash order but says it is the previous Vice President’s responsibility to distribute, yet to receive vital documents and contacts from the previous Vice President.
CL – just successfully completed her handover with the previous Treasurer.
FV – been in contact with various people over small queries they had as well as organising the committee meeting.
AG – will be attending a pre-ballot meeting with the Housing Dept.
TH – helped MM with the arrival of Pomona students, organising the Shadowing Scheme dinner at Jesus and attending the CUSU Access forum this week.
TB – approved the new CUSU Green Policy.
XF and AO – organising the bop for this coming Saturday, sorting out the term’s ents timetable.
BS and DE – currently writing a comprehensive guide to welfare for students, raising welfare awareness to Freshers, sending out first welfare email soon.
DE looking into organising self-defence classes if there’s enough interest.
HP – emailed college about an internship opportunity for disabled students, writing first fortnightly email to college about beating the winter blues, organising Time to Talk Day (5th February).
MM – welcomed Pomona students and toured them round Cambridge, updating the international students mailing list.
AW – organised an LGBT+ pub crawl for 12th January, a formal at Downing in February and a grad mixer, organising events for LGBT History Month (February).
EK – written the Women’s Officer description for the constitution, organised a women’s dinner for 9th March, spoken to DE about bathroom bins.
NBH – spoken to the Senior Tutor about him being the first port of call for reporting racial abuse, organising an ethnic food formal.

2. Matters arising

(a) JCSU Constitution and Standing Orders updates
AD proposed that the JCSU Constitution and Standing Orders should be updated as they were last reviewed in 2009. This would include updating outdated information and making them gender neutral. AW reported that he has already drafted up some changes to the Constitution and Standing Orders to make them gender neutral and reminded the committee on how the changes get agreed on. For the Constitution it needs to be passed at an OGM, a referendum voted by college students and then at College Council. For the Standing Orders, they need to be passed at two OGMs. For the updating of outdated information, AD suggested organising a small meeting for JCSU members (AD, TH, HP, MM, RSL, CL, AG, AW, FV and CS) to amend details and then getting a non JCSU student to independently review the changes. Either the student College Council representative or another college’s JCR president were suggested as good independent reviewers. It was decided that the committee should all have a read of the Constitution and Standing Orders and that AD would get back to those involved in the small meeting.

(b) Rent rise approval
AD reported that the committee needed to approve the 1.7% rise in rent proposed by the Bursar. It was agreed that this was fair and that AD would report back to the Bursar.

(c) JCSU annual survey
AD proposed to carry out the annual survey towards the end of Lent Term. It was agreed that closer to the time last year’s survey would be looked at and necessary changes would be made.
(d) ‘Listening’ and being engaged
AD requested ideas and suggestions as to how the JCSU could engage with the rest of college. AW reported that mailing lists (for example the International or LGBT+ mailing lists) and small discussion groups were great ways to get college students engaged. BS suggested that at the first welfare cake session that the entire JCSU could attend in order to get their faces known. DE and BS reported that the JCSU Welfare Facebook page would be brought back into usage and CS raised the point that all the JCSU Facebook pages (Freshers, Welfare and Ents) as well as the JCSU Twitter could benefit from increased awareness. AG proposed the idea of an anonymous suggestion box in the Marshall Room or an anonymous suggestion form on the JCSU website or JNet. AD suggested that there needed to be an improved dialogue with the Catering Dept. especially over Caff and dietary info, TB reported that there is often not enough dietary info on food and that staff weren’t sure over dish ingredients. It was decided that TB would look into the Catering Dept.’s vegetarian policy, AG would find out how to increase dialogue with the Catering Dept. and that DE, BS and CS would take the necessary steps to raise the JCSU’s profile on social media.

(e) Website changes CS reported that the college website is under review at the end of February and requested ideas about changes to layout and content.
TH suggested that the college’s Student Room and CUSU Alternative Prospectus web pages need to be updated and also requested ideas. It was reported that the College Website and JNet were very out of date, that it was difficult to find what you wanted due to a complicated layout and did not contain certain vital bits of information (eg welfare contacts and info, society presidents’ contacts). TH reported that the college’s Student Room and CUSU Alternative Prospectus web pages were both out of date and contained negative information about the college. He proposed that they needed to be updated with current statistics, info, photos and videos as these websites often attract students to apply to Jesus. AO offered to help shoot and edit a video as she had already helped her sister create one for Murray Edwards. AD suggested getting the college on board for financial backing. It was decided that the welfare team would provide CS with the info to update the JNet welfare page and FV would provide a list of society president’s contact details. It was also decided TH would email relevant committee members to request input and info for the other websites and would talk to Dr Rutter and the Schools Liaison Officer and request more input.

(f) Women’s Officer AD proposed a brief discussion about this role and what EK envisages it to be, for the clarity of the rest of the committee.
EK reported that her role entailed representing women as a whole. She would be responsible for liaising with the CUSU Women’s Campaign. It was reported that DE and EK would attend the CUSU Women’s conference on 18th January. EK also reported that she doesn’t think men should vote for the position (as is currently the case) but believes that women in college should be able to express their opinions as to whether they think men should be allowed to or not. BS raised the point that men could dominate the vote (due to the larger proportion of male students in college) if it went ahead but AW believed that men would not necessarily vote even if they had the opportunity to. It was decided that EK would do a survey amongst her mailing list to get views on whether men should be allowed to vote.

(g) How letters from college are addressed
EK feels that letters from college to parents are addressed in an inappropriate way and reported that a meeting with the Development Office has been arranged for 20th January in order to look into it further as they don’t want it to become an issue. AD and EK to attend the meeting.

(h) ‘No Bystanders’ campaign
AW proposes to run the Stonewall campaign ‘No Bystanders’ within college. The campaign proposes to get rid of insensitive and bullying language through people calling others up on it when the language is used. AW reported that he has already got the support from Geoff Howe and Tori McKee and proposes to get more college staff involved, especially the Master. AW proposed to email college, put posters up, raise awareness on social media through photos and videos and make a pledge event that could be combined with Welfare Cake one week. This proposal received the support of the committee.

(i) International formal swap
MM proposed to run an international formal swap with St Catherine’s and requested ideas for the organisation of the event. AW offered to talk to MM separately as he has had experience of organising formal swaps.

(j) Recycling
TB reported that there was a motion last year (which was passed) to put food waste bins in Malcolm Street houses and that it wasn’t going ahead due to health and safety issues. TB also proposed to put a bin for recycling plastic bags in the Marshall Room which she would empty. TB to email porters for confirmation.

(k) Ents
XF and AO proposed to run a pub crawl this term and requested ideas as to how to organise and lead it. It was decided that they would have a separate meeting with AG, FV and AW to discuss as they have had experience of running one. XF and AO also requested the committee’s help with setting up and clearing up events like bops which was agreed on. XF and AO to email FV with the ents term card to put in the next agenda once dates and times have been confirmed with college.

(l) The John Hughes Art Festival (JHAF)
AD and CL felt that JHAF should get JCSU endorsement and financial help and requested that RSL to report on the financial situation of JHAF as she has involvement with it.
RSL reported that the organisers had been to see the college Bursar who said that the JCSU Enterprise account could be used to contribute to the festival. The current JHAF budget comes from Jesus College Arts Council (£500), a £2 subsidy on the masquerade formal ticket sales (£204) and other various things sponsored by college. The proposed costings on top of those already covered by their current budget are a worst case scenario and are subject to change following a JHAF Committee meeting on 13th January. They sum to a worst case scenario total of around £1,000 (including a drinks reception in the Forum costing around £300) but will likely be less. AD reported that a budget change would have to be approved at an OGM which there was not time for before the festival started, however AG reported that money taken out of the JCSU Enterprise account does not need to be passed at an OGM. AG suggested that the money donated from the JCSU Enterprise account to JHAF is then added to the budget and the change proposed at the next OGM then, if passed, the money would be put back into the Enterprise account. It was decided that RSL would organise a separate meeting with CL and other relevant people once final costs had been decided.

(m) Bar quiz
FV felt that there were not enough volunteers from the 2014 JCSU Committee to run the bar quiz each week at 8pm on a Saturday evening and proposed that this year every committee member should run at least one. FV reported that running the bar quiz is the responsibility of the JCSU and proposed to write up a rota so that people knew well in advance when they had to run the quiz. TB suggested that the college should be made more aware of the charity that the money goes to. AW requested a slot in February for LGBT month and that the money should go to Stonewall. It was decided that FV should create a Google document for committee members to sign up to.

(n) Student assistants
Mark Zaki proposed that student assistants should be introduced within college. AD reported that the Senior Tutor requires a letter of endorsement from the JCSU to trial this scheme in the Engineering Dept. TH reported that the student assistants would be students in the year above who could help those in the year below with academic issues in an academic training sort of role. This doesn’t happen so much within the college parent scheme and it is good to give people experience in a teaching role. AD suggested that it may not work in some subjects due to syllabus changes or large choices of modules and EK said it could give some students a significant advantage due to the inevitable difference in abilities of student assistants. It was decided that AD would write a letter of endorsement to the Senior Tutor.

(o) Meeting times It was decided that the JCSU meetings should occur every Tuesday evening at 7.30pm in the Library Court Seminar Room.
DE reported that the provisional times for Welfare drop in sessions were on Monday evenings.

3. Any other business
(a) Facebook or meeting worthy AD reminded the committee that smaller issues could be discussed on the JCSU Committee Facebook page, whereas larger items could be discussed in the meetings themselves.

(b) Channel Islands ‘international status’ TB reported that students who reside in the Channel Islands have ‘international status’ as they pay increased fees however they do not get the benefits of being an international student (formals, swaps etc). MM suggested that she emailed the entire college to ask if people wanted to be on the international mailing list.

(c) Welfare budget queries NBH queried how the £2,000 welfare budget was split between the officers on the welfare team. AW reported that each officer on the welfare team (Disabilities and Mental Health, International, LGBT+, Women’s, Racial Equalities) had an unofficial budget of £100 each which was taken out of the £2,000. However it is at the discretion of BS and DE to decide how much each officer would get. FV reported that last year, any money that the welfare team wanted for events they would get due to the size of the welfare budget.

(d) Minimum caff card top up on JNet NBH queried the minimum caff card top up of £40 on JNet and said that people may not be able to top up that much right at the end of term due to financial reasons. AG reported that this large minimum top up was due to the high cost of debit card processing. AW reported that students can top their caff card up in the bar where the minimum is £20 and suggested that students could be made more aware of this fact. AG said that he’d check with the bar staff before publicising this fact as well as making the request with the relevant people that the minimum JNet top up should be lowered.

(e) JCSU website biographies CS reminded the committee that certain members still needed to write their biographies for the JCSU website including relevant info and their JCSU email address. AO offered to take individual photos for this which could also be used for the JCSU grid of faces which would go up on the JCSU noticeboard and in kitchens on freshers’ staircases. FV to organise.

AD thanked the members of the Committee for a very helpful and successful meeting.
The meeting closed at 5.00pm

JCSU AGM Minutes 13/11/2014

Committee Present:

Danny McGrath (President)

Hazel Jackson (Vice President)

Theo Morris Clarke (Treasurer)

Rebecca Zhao (Secretary)

Dan Hunt (Services)

James Swaden and Kitty Grady (Ents)

Jane Baxter (Green)

Anthony Wheeler (LGBT)

Freddie Valletta (Male welfare)

Aiden Goulden (Access)

Sarah Glew (Mental Health and Disabilities)

Charlotte Jackson (Female welfare)

Katherine Lee (International and Racial affairs)

Julien Cohen (International and Racial affairs)

Tim Kitching (Communications)

 

+Richard Dennis (Senior Treasurer to the JCSU)

 

Meeting begins (quorum present)

1. Reports of executive’s activities over the year

DH: Organised the societies’ photos, housing ballot, been meeting with IT throughout the year to improve systems in college

TK: I have only been in this job this term as was elected in the by election, made the grid of faces for freshers’ week and have made the weekly bulletin

KJ and JS: We have also only been in the job for this michaelmas term, Organised the week 5 fiesta joint with the welfare team, have had 2  bops with the christmas one to come, in the process of  organising a freshers play, christmas bop and christmas formal seating plans

AW: Welcome letter to freshers, arranged the parenting scheme, LGBT pub crawl, swap as well as doing general welfare

JB: Fairtrade fortnight, various charity events and also ran the green impact scheme in college

CJ and FV: distribution of sexual health supplies, helped with sexual consent workshops, exam term doughnuts and bouncy castle

HJ: Halfway hall, Attended CUSU meetings, currently organising stash, helped out with CUSU elections and exploring the possibility of getting a yearbook

TMC: Written a lot of cheques, drawing up budget, sitting on various college committees

DM: CUSU council, organising Freshers week

JC: International officers welcomed visitors from America, setting up socials (swaps with other colleges)

SG: Pilates and mindfulness schemes, time to talk day, trying to get a college counsellor which has been showing progress

AG: Ambassadors, CUSU shadowing scheme, college children scheme, prospectus, helped train new Access and Schools’ liaison officer

BZ: Organised JCSU meeting bookings, agendas and minutes, societies fair and acted as societies liaison

2.The JCSU Annual Budget

 

TMC: The only change which has been added since the last meeting was the Education society which I missed previously, who have now been allocated £200

BZ: What will this money be going towards?

TMC: Speakers coming to visit

DM: Propose a motion to pass the annual budget

Yes:  27

(No objections)

3.Ordinary motions

  • Revision of voting rights for International Students Officer

Only students that identify themselves as international should be allowed to vote for the International students officer

The JCSU notes

International students face unique challenges at our university and the JCSU has an international students officer that ‘shall be responsible for the needs and concerns of international students within the college’ (JCSU constitution). The JCSU has recently accepted that voting for certain positions can be exclusive to the group they represent

The JCSU believes

That the international students officer should represent the international students of the college and that this should be represented in the election procedure

The JCSU resolves

Only students that identify themselves as international are allowed to vote for the international students officer

Proposed by: Niklas Ek

Seconded by: Zak Walters

NE: Considering the emerging electoral structure of the JCSU, this change ensures that the international students are fully supported

AW: This is the reason why we have an international officer. I think we should be an inclusive environment, open and friendly. I don’t believe the womens’ officer should create a trend for other positions on the JCSU. I don’t see the problem with everyone being able to vote for that

NE: Feel like there should be a uniform response to minorities on the college, we should be consistent

JC: I don’t think women in the college should be referred to as a minority

EB: Could we not have the role be open to only those representative of that group

JG:  Could someone please clarify the role of the International Students’ Officer?

JC: Main role is helping international freshers to adapt when they come here, moving here can be a huge change. Also nice to have an international community for people going through that big change. Mainly a welfare role.

AW: The LGBT officer is open to voting by all members of college

HL: It would be very wrong to ask people to identify as LGBT, not really the case with international

TK: International events are open to all students,  what about Erasmus/ Pomona students who wouldn’t be able to vote, who are still represented by the international officers

JC: Indeed most people we help can’t actually vote for the position

NE: It’s the same for the freshers, we focus on a particular group as in the constitution

TMC: Is it not worrying that in a democratic institution one group gets more representation than another?

Vote:

For: 4

Against: 17

Abstentions: 6

  • Changing the title of the LBGT officer.

The JCSU notes:

The given title in the JCSU constitution is ‘LBGT Students’ Officer’

The JCSU believes:

1. The title should be changed constitutionally to the more common arrangement of the letters: LGBT.

2. The title of the role should also include a +, making the title LGBT+ Students’ Officer.

The JCSU resolves:

To change the title of the role to LGBT+ Student’s Officer.

Proposed by: Anthony Wheeler

Seconded by: Charlie Benson

 

AW: In the constitution the wording is wrong, we should also add a ‘+’ as in other colleges, making it more inclusive

For: 27

End of meeting

JCSU OGM Minutes- 4/11/2014

JCSU OGM Minutes- 4/11/2014

Committee Present:

Danny McGrath (President)

Hazel Jackson (Vice President)

Theo Morris Clarke (Treasurer)

Rebecca Zhao (Secretary)

Dan Hunt (Services)

James Swaden and Kitty Grady (Ents)

Jane Baxter (Green)

Anthony Wheeler (LGBT)

Freddie Valletta (Male welfare)

Aiden Goulden (Access)

Sarah Glew (Mental Health and Disabilities)

Charlotte Jackson (Female welfare)

Katherine Lee (International and Racial affairs)

Julien Cohen (International and Racial affairs)

 

Apologies for absence:

Tim Kitching (Communications)

 

Start of meeting

Reports of member’s activities since last meeting:

JS&KG:  Had 2 bops, been organising the Welfare-joint-ents event for week 5, comedy smoker and hopefully a freshers play is on the cards. Christmas bop in the last week of term

JB:  Organised veggie formal, green impact, met with domestic bursar about food waste bins. They have concerns about mice as people might not clean them out

SG: Freshers’ stuff, liaising about counselling, helping to organise next week’s events

CJ and FV (welfare): Helped organise freshers week, sexual consent workshops, Movember

HJ: Freshers week, currently organising yearbook and college stash

BZ: Organised committee meetings and societies fair

DM: Organised freshers week, Wesley house committee with architects, getting a new JCR, talking to the dean about disciplinary action

TMC: Did the end of year accounts for the JCSU, drawn up the annual budget, sold gowns to freshers

AG: Preparing the CUSU shadowing scheme, helping to train the schools liaison officer, rewriting the prospectus (photo competition)

JC: We’ve been welcoming Freshers and Erasmus students, answering queries, helped welfare team, social events across university

AW: LGBT and biscuits, signed Jesus up to university wide pub crawl, swap, welfare

DH: Societies photos, working with IT department to sort out Eduroam problems

 

Any questions for the committee?

 

JC:  Completion date on Wesley house?

DM: Phase 1 scheduled for completion before freshers week next year (although currently dealing with some council issues), this includes the JCR and bar/cafe. Phase 2 (auditorium and gym) has to wait for further funds

Budget

TMC: Rather than running through each item on the budget will just mention any significant changes since last year. Access are no longer being funded by college and need to have a new prospectus, Basketball have requested more for capital expenditure, Boat club have asked for more, MedSoc is quite contentious-  fairly large sum of money going now, Green is having more money as didn’t have a budget in the past, Jesus ski team didn’t either

 

Medsoc

TMC: Medsoc have requested money to fund student dinners provided that all members of college should be allowed to join

RA: Not just dinners, they fund talks in college with visiting speakers. And it’s not just one dinner but several per term

TMC: Don’t you think we’re asking for too much

JS: How would this work with medsoc being open to all of college?

RP:  Tickets allocated on a first come first serve basis

 

TS: I propose an amendment to the budget to not fund Medsoc’s student dinners

 

Against: 21

For: 27

 

Badminton

Badminton budget should have been changed for £29 increase

TMC:  Sorry for the mistake, misread the email

 

Amendment to budget to increase badminton funding from last year by £29 past

 

Engineering Society

TMC: Any engineers present at meeting?

JC: Yes our funding is to pay for speakers to talk at dinners

TMC: Well its written in budget application that there is an end of year punting trip too

AG: Has in past been funded by the second years

 

TMC: Propose amendment to get rid of funding the punting trip

 

For:27

Against: 2

Abstention: 1

 

Jesus Singers

TMC:  Propose amendment to not fund pizza for Jesus singers?

No opposition

 

TMC: Everything we have discussed must be approved by the finance committee, so none of these decisions have been immediately carried

Voting for male/female welfare officers

SG: I feel like they work as a team, at least one of them might be your friend and it’s nice to be able to turn to someone else. Roles are gendered but a lot of their roles are not exclusive. As male and female undergraduates may approach either officer freely with welfare or academic issues and many issues are not gender specific, both male and female undergraduates  should have a say in the choice of new officers.

 

AW: Same as fact that all member’s of college have a say in the LGBT officer

 

For: 24

Against: 5

Abstention: 5

Motion passed

Women’s officer

JY: I’m proposing this motion, many other colleges have a women’s officer. I would focus on the college’s sexual harassment policy, gender gap, attainment gap, organising consent workshops. Crucial that this is an autonomous position, would be too much to ask female welfare officer to do this too. The role of the female welfare officer as it currently stands is to provide individual support for women facing difficulties with regards to academic problems, sexual health, and emotional stress. There is not a position in place that represents women as a minority group within the college and university as a whole. Structural inequality faced by women is recognised by the vice-chancellor as a problem within universities, and it requires pro-active action. This role is therefore different to that of a female welfare officer, and combining the two roles would make the female welfare officer an impossible role to fulfil to a good standard.

 

JS: To what extent will the women’s officer be part of the welfare team?

JY:  Women’s officer will complement roles of the female welfare officer

AW: Would only self identifying women be able to vote?

JY: Yes

JC: Would like to amend this aspect of the role.

TMC: The JCSU is not political so how is this different from other types of campaigning?

JY: It would involve looking at policies in place and how they should be adjusted. It has been recognised that we need to be proactive in maintaining gender equality. It’s all about representation.

RRM: I would like to support Jinan if male and female welfare officers are being voted for by male and females, a role just voted for my women should be preserved

SG: As a woman in Jesus college, there is a feeling amongst some women that this isn’t a problem at all, women don’t really want to be treated as a minority

AG: Also the attainment gap does not apply to Jesus college

TMC: CJ and FV, do you feel like these jobs are not possible within your existing position?

CJ: No it’d be too much, if there are some women in college who feel like they need a representative, they should have it even if they don’t vocalise it

JS: Is this a permanent role, or does it have a goal to achieve only

JY: There would be no need for a women’s officer once gender equality has been achieved

JA: LGBT role is voted for by all members of college so why should this be any different

 

JC: I would like to propose an amendment to the constitution so that everyone can vote for the women’s officer, it’s in both male and female interests to achieve gender equality. Men are interested in this issue, it’s a question of democracy

RRM: Should just be a representative of women

JS: If we introduce a role only women can vote for, we are introducing structural inequality. Women are then represented on committee more

JY: The whole idea of having a women’s officer is recognition of gender equality. Women have been shown to be disadvantaged. It is important to listen to women that we need this position. It is worrying that potentially a ‘disliked women’ might not get onto the committee because of the dominance carried by male votes

 

Amendment

For:11

Against: 15

Abstention:6

 

Motion

For:21

Against: 3

Abstention8

Changing the title of the LBGT officer

AW: Change from LBGT to LGBT+, this is more conventional and inclusive

JY: Why don’t we have the q , people identify as q (LGBTQ+)

AW: Should be in keeping with CUSU and other colleges, also people identifying as q are included in the(+)

JY: Okay that seems fair so retract amendment

 

No objections

Motion passed

 

 

 

Any other business?

 

 

End of meeting

 

Older posts Newer posts